De Rustica's commitment to harvesting, pressing and bottling the best olive oils saw them take them home the award for the Best Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the world at the 2023 EVOOLEUM Awards in Spain for their De Rustica Coratina extra virgin olive oil. De Rustica Coratina also won gold in New York at the NYIOOC 2023 World Olive Oil Competition, in September.
Locally, the extra virgin olive oil was awarded the Gold Delicate award at the SA Olive Oil Awards which were held at the picturesque Grande Roche Hotel in Paarl.
This zesty, almond cake is made with almond flour and is completely gluten-free. It's delicious served with a smear of almond and vanilla butter.
- 170 ml De Rustica Coratina extra virgin olive oil
- 3 free-range eggs
- 200 g sugar
- 2 t Amaretto
- 150 g ground almonds
- ½ t bicarbonate of soda
- Salt, a pinch
- 1 ClemenGold, zested
- 100 g dates, roughly chopped
- 50 g flaked almonds(optional)
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- For the almond-and-vanilla butter:
- 100 g raw almonds
- 100 g butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 vanilla pod, seeded
- 65 g icing sugar
- 3 T maple syrup
View this post on Instagram
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
2. Using an electric hand-mixer, cream the De Rustica Coratina extra virgin olive oil, eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Add the Amaretto and fold in the ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda, salt, ClemenGold zest and dates.
4. Grease a 20 cm round cake tin, then pour in the batter. Scatter over the flaked almonds if using and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. The top of the cake will still feel slightly wobbly at this stage.
5. Allow to cool, remove from the cake tin and dust with icing sugar. Serve with the almond-and-vanilla butter.
6. To make the almond-and-vanilla butter, toast the almonds in a dry pan over a medium heat for 2 minutes, making sure they don't burn. Place the nuts in a food processor and blend until fine. Add the butter, vanilla seeds, icing sugar and maple syrup. Blend for a further 15 minutes to form a thick paste.
Photography: Jan Ras
Production: Brita du Plessis
Food assistants: Josh van Zyl
De Rustica prioritises freshness and quality by immediately pressing olives to create their olive oils. They employ advanced technology and stainless-steel storage tanks to maintain an optimal production environment. The award-winning De Rustica Coratina Extra Virgin Olive Oil is exclusive to Woolworths.