- 8 young globe artichokes
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, smashed
- Peppercorns, a few
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- For the Parmesan mayonnaise, mix:
- 1 cup thick home-made mayonnaise
- 1 cup Parmesan, finely grated
- 1 T lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Peel the stalks of the artichokes and neaten the ends. Soak in salted water for 30 minutes.
Drain the artichokes and pack into a saucepan with the lemon, garlic and peppercorns. Pour over the oil and enough water to cover. Place a small plate and a weight on top to keep them submerged during cooking.
Cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until tender. Test the stalks – they should be tender when pierced. Drain well. Serve with the Parmesan mayonnaise for dipping the fleshy leaves and stalks, discarding the chokes.