- oil, for deep-frying
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Maldon salt, to taste
- 6 baby onions, thinly sliced
- 1 t salt
- 400 g beef fillet, cut into small cubes
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 T wholegrain mustard
- 1 T Worcester sauce
- 1 t olive oil
- green peppercorns, to taste
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 T Woolworths creamed horseradish
- ½ lemon, juiced
- salt, to taste
- 10 g fennel fronds, to garnish
1. Preheat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
2. To make the dressing, combine the sour cream, horseradish, lemon juice and salt. Chill until ready to serve.
3. Deep-fry the potatoes until crispy. If they are caramelising too much, lay them on a baking tray and finish in the oven at 120°C for 15 minutes. Season with salt.
4. Season the baby onions with salt and allow to stand for 10 minutes to marinate. Toss the fillet with the lemon zest, mustard, Worcester sauce, olive oil and green peppercorns.
5. When ready to serve, top the dressing with the fennel fronds and serve the tartare cold with the crisps.
Cook’s note: Serve with Woolworths crisps if you like.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom, Jarryd Thesen, Mogau Seshoene