- For the peri-peri sauce:
- 2 red onions, halved
- 2 red peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 head garlic, halved horizontally
- 8–10 bird’s-eye or Serrano chillies, chopped
- 2 t smoked paprika
- 3 T olive oil
- 3 – 4 T red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the garlic bread:
- 1 Woolworths heat and eat ciabatta, cut in half lengthways
- 75 g Woolworths medium-fat butter with garlic and herbs
- 200 g mozzarella, sliced
- 240 g Woolworths sundried tomato quarters in vinaigrette, drained
- For the chicken:
- 1 whole free-range chicken, spatchcocked
- ½ cup coconut milk
1. To make the peri-peri sauce, place the onions, peppers and garlic on the braai over medium coals and cook, turning every 5 minutes, for 15 minutes or until softened.
2. Remove the vegetables from the braai and allow to cool slightly. Place the remaining ingredients in a blender with the cooled vegetables and blend until smooth.
3. Transfer the sauce to a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Baste the chicken with half the peri-peri sauce and cook on the braai over medium coals for 45 minutes, turning every 5 minutes, until cooked through.
5. To make the garlic bread, spread the garlic butter onto the cut sides of the ciabatta, then top one half with the mozzarella and tomatoes. Top with the other half of the ciabatta and wrap the whole loaf in tinfoil.
6. Place the bread on the braai and cook for 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes.
7. Add the coconut milk to the remaining peri-peri sauce and simmer for 5 minutes to make a dipping sauce.
8. Serve the chicken with the sliced garlic bread and the dipping sauce.