- 3 x 400 g cans black beans
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t ground coriander
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- salt, to taste
- 6 cloves Woolworths black garlic
- sliced avocado, for serving
- limes, for serving
- sour cream, for serving
1. Drain the beans and set aside. Gently heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and carrot and cook gently until the onion is soft but still pale.
2. Stir in the spices, adding a little more oil if necessary. Add the beans, stock and season. Bring to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, partially covered. Stir in the black garlic, blend and check the seasoning.
3. Serve with avocado, lime juice and the sour cream.
Cook's note: Canned black beans are a great pantry cupboard staple, but by all means use dried if you have them. Soak them overnight, then cook slowly until tender.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food assistant: Nicola Naude