- For the lemon dressing, mix:
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 T parsley, finely chopped
- 2 T white wine vinegar
- 2 lemons, segmented
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the cucumber-and-fennel salad:
- 8 mini cucumbers, sliced diagonally
- 1 bulb fennel, shaved
- Sesame seeds, toasted, for serving
- For the spicy coconut sauce, mix:
- 1 x 400 g can coconut milk
- 2 T freshly grated coconut
- 2–3 T sambal oelek
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 T fish sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- For the fish
- 6 x 200 g portions firm white sustainable fish
- 6 sheets nori
Drizzle the lemon dressing over the cucumber and fennel and set aside.
Coat the fish in the spicy coconut sauce. Wrap each portion in nori, then in tinfoil. Grill on the braai for 5–10 minutes, or until tender. Open one of the parcels to make sure the fish is cooked through and flakes easily.
Serve with the cucumber-and-fennel salad, topped with sesame seeds.
Cook's note: Take your fish to the next level by dipping it in an Asian-inspired sauce, then wrapping it in sheets of nori, followed by tinfoil to make sure the fish stay nice and juicy. The look on everyone's faces when you unwrap the foil at the table? Priceless.