- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 T coconut oil
- 1 medium brinjals (about 350 g), cubed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 T Woolworths korma curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 2 cm ginger piece, peeled and grated
- 500 g lean free-range beef mince
- 1 x 400 ml coconut cream can
- 1–2 limes, plus extra for serving
- 1–2 t brown sugar
- 2–3 carrots, shredded
- 20 g coriander chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- Rice, steamed with a few cracked
- Cardamom pods, for serving
- Lime pickle, for serving
Soften the onion in 2–3 T coconut oil. Stir in the brinjal, adding more oil if necessary, and cook over a fairly brisk heat for a few minutes. Remove from the pan and season lightly.
Reduce the heat to low. Add the remaining coconut oil, then stir in the curry powder, garlic and ginger. Add the beef mince and stir until coated with the spice mix. Season with salt and pour in the coconut cream.
Increase the heat slightly. Keep stirring until the mixture starts to bubble. Simmer gently, covered, for about 25 minutes, stirring now and again.
Return the brinjal and onion to the pan and cook for a further 15 minutes. Add the lime juice and sugar to taste. Add the carrots and check the seasoning. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve with the steamed rice, limes and lime pickle.