“These melt-in-the-mouth brinjal slices are really good with the freshness of the cheese.”
- 700 g medium brinjals
- to taste sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- for brushing olive oil,
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 20-30 g basil leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tub Woolworths burrata or 150 g bocconcini), drained and torn
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Trim the ends off the brinjals, then slice very thinly lengthways. Arrange in a single layer on large baking trays lined with baking paper.
2. Season lightly and brush generously with oil – about 1 cup. Grate over the garlic and tuck in half the basil leaves. Brush with more oil if necessary. Cover with baking paper and bake for 20 minutes, or until very tender.
3. Turn onto a large platter and leave to cool to room temperature. Just before serving, dress with the mozzarella and fresh basil leaves. Drizzle a little olive oil over the cheese, if you like.
Photographs: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food Assistant: Kate Ferreira