- 3 large brinjals, quartered
- 3 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup water
- 3 T olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 30 g sage
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 x 400 g cans cherry tomatoes
- 175 g lasagne sheets
- 150 g Parmesan, grated
- 100 g almonds, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the brinjals, shallots and water into a large casserole or an ovenproof pan over a medium heat. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
2. Remove the lid and cook until most of the water is gone. Add the olive oil, garlic, sage and chilli and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add the lemon zest, tomatoes and half a can of water. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season well.
4. Remove from the heat and break the pasta sheets into the sauce. Top with the Parmesan and almonds. 5. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Remove from the oven and top with the remaining Parmesan.
Cook's note: This recipe was inspired by Jamie Oliver's scruffy aubergine lasagne, in the book Veg.