- 1 broccoli head, quartered, blanched and refreshed in ice-cold water
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and stone
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- baby cucumbers, for serving
- Woolworths sesame pretzels, for serving
1. Place ¼ of the broccoli into the jug of a stick blender or a food processor with the avocado, lemon zest and juice, and season to taste. Blend until smooth.
2. Taste and see if you would like to add more broccoli or not. I like to use the remaining broccoli for dipping.
3. Serve with the cucumbers and pretzels.
Cook’s note: Alternatively, blend the remaining broccoli and fold into leftover mashed potatoes with cheese and make potato cakes or fritters. I get excited about ways to boost my veggie intake and this ‘guacamole’ does just that. Using a blender is essential because it incorporates the broccoli best. This is a basic version – add chopped chilli and coriander if you like a bit of spice.
Photograph: Sadiqah Assur- Ismail
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen van Rooyen