- 1 T sesame oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 T fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 chillies, finely chopped
- 420 g brown rice, cooked
- ¼ cup soya sauce
- 1 T sambal oelek
- 300 g ostrich mince, fried in olive oil until crisp
- 1 T olive oil
- 100 g cashew nuts
- 4 free-range eggs, fried in olive oil until crispy
- Pickled cucumber, for serving
- 3 red spring onions, thinly sliced
- Sunflower sprouts, to garnish
Heat the sesame oil in a pan over medium to high heat. Fry the garlic, ginger and chillies for a few seconds. Add the rice, soya sauce and sambal oelek. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5–10 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated. Add the ostrich mince.
Heat the olive oil in a nonstick pan over a medium to high heat. Add the cashew nuts and fry until golden.
Serve the nasi goreng topped with a crispy fried egg, the pickled cucumber, spring onions and sunflower sprouts.
Cook’s note: To make your own pickled cucumber, thinly slice 1 cucumber. Heat ¼ cup white wine vinegar in a saucepan over a medium heat until simmering. Pour over the cucumber and allow to cool. Store in an airtight jar.
Did you know? Whole grains like brown rice haven’t had their bran and germ removed, so are a great source of fibre and nutrients. Plus, this recipe is packed with protein in the form of eggs and ostrich mince (which is naturally low in fat).