- 1.5 kg Woolworths medium Apache potatoes, unpeeled
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup Woolworths unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 100 g spring onions, trimmed and slice
- ¾ cup good-quality thick mayonnaise
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 10 g snipped chives, for sprinkling
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Cover with the lid, bring to a boil, then simmer until tender. It will probably take about half an hour from start to finish. Remove any smaller ones that cook more quickly. Drain well and return to the turned-o hob. Cover with a tea towel and lid. Peel as soon as the potatoes are cool enough to handle.
2. Cut the warm potatoes into large cubes and place in a bowl. Season and sprinkle over the vinegar. Toss gently using 2 spatulas to prevent breaking. Allow to stand for about 15 minutes, then add the spring onion.
3. Mix the mayonnaise and buttermilk and pour over the potatoes, tossing gently. Check the seasoning, then turn into a serving bowl or onto a platter. Sprinkle with the chives.
Cook's note: This salad is perfect as a side to roast chicken, cold meat or fish, poached or smoked. It’s delicious as is but you could also add chopped pickled cucumber, hard-boiled egg, capers or anchovies.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis