- 500 g pasta twists
- 2 baby cabbages, shredded
- For the sauce:
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 crushed clove garlic
- 1 tin lentils, rinsed and drained
- 400 g fresh Napolitano sauce
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup dry red wine (or more stock)
- About 125g smoked, dried chorizo, skinned and thinly sliced
- About 1/3 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Sea salt and milled black pepper
- Coriander leaves for sprinkling
Soften the onion, carrot and celery in the gently heated oil. First stir in the garlic, then add the lentils and tomato-based sauce and cook for a few minutes.
Pour in the stock and wine and simmer for about 20 minutes, adding a little more water if necessary. Stir in the chorizo and coriander.
Cook the pasta until almost tender. Stir in the cabbage and cook until the pasta is just cooked and the cabbage tender-crisp. Mix the sauce with the pasta and check seasoning.
Sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve.
Use store-bought fresh Napolitano sauce to add depth of flavour. Vegetarians can leave out the chorizo and add some crumbled feta instead. Make use of leftover lentils, a cup will do, in place of the tinned ones.