- 250 g leaned fresh small calamari tubes and tentacles
- 2 cups fish or seafood stock
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced, plus fronds, chopped, to garnish
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250 g linguine, cooked al dente
Rinse and drain the calamari. In a saucepan over a high heat, bring the stock to a boil. Drop in the calamari and cook for barely a minute, or until just opaque. Strain, reserving the stock.
In a large pan, gently cook the fennel in the olive oil until very soft. Stir in the garlic, then pour in the reserved stock and cream and simmer until reduced and slightly thickened. Add a grinding of black pepper and salt if necessary. Stir in the calamari.
Mix with the hot, well-drained pasta and check seasoning. Garnish with chopped fennel fronds.
Cook’s note: Stir in a handful or two of baby spinach leaves for colour, or add a chopped fresh chilli when frying the fennel for a bit of bite.