I had a massive cabbage I needed to get out of my fridge and didn’t feel like stir-fry, so I decided to make a batch of caramelised cabbage. At the last moment I decided it would only be right to pile it onto pizza bases, and what a success it was! I highly recommend you try this next time you have a cabbage in the house.
- 4 T olive oil
- 2 cabbages, thinly sliced
- 50 g butter
- A few sprigs thyme
- 4 T brown sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Woolworths pizza bases
- 400 g mozzarella, grated
- 150 g Woolworths Cremezola medium-fat semi-soft blue cheese
- Microgreens, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat a pan and add half the olive oil. Sauté the cabbage in the oil over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to caramelise, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the butter and sugar and sauté until the sugar has dissolved. Add thyme, season, stirring again. Place the pizza bases on a lightly greased baking sheet, then cover with half the mozzarella and pile the cabbage onto each base. Top the pizzas with the remaining mozzarella.
3. Crumble over the Cremezola and drizzle over the remaining olive oil. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown.
4. Garnish with microgreens and serve immediately
Videography: Romy Wilson
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Khanya Mzongwana
Food assistant: Ellah Maepa