- 180 g butter
- 180 g flour
- 500 ml milk, warmed
- 150 g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Nutmeg, grated, to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 750 ml oil, plus extra for greasing
- Flour, for dusting
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten with 1 T water
- Breadcrumbs, for coating
- 2 ready-prepared Beetroot and Carrot Salads
- 6 slices rye bread, toasted
- Fresh radishes, for serving
In a saucepan over a medium heat, melt the butter, then add the flour and mix to create a roux. Add the milk, a little at a time, until the mixture takes on a thick-sauce consistency.
Cook gently for a few minutes, then remove from the heat and add the grated cheese, nutmeg and seasoning, to taste.
Spread the mixture onto an oiled baking tray and allow to cool. Chill for 2 hours.
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a medium to high heat. With lightly greased hands, roll the white sauce paste into thick sausages.
Dust with flour, dip into beaten egg and then into the breadcrumbs, back into the egg and again into the crumbs.
Deep-fry the croquettes in the hot oil until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
Toss the salads in their dressing, then serve the croquettes warm with the salad, toasted rye bread and radishes.