- For the filling:
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 heaped T Muscovado sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split (or 1 t vanilla extract)
- 1 x 125 g tub blueberries
- For the cookie-dough pie crust:
- 270 g oats
- 120 g macadamia flour
- 40 g coconut flakes
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 260 g banana, mashed
- 1 x 10 g packet Woolworths freezedried blueberries
- 1 t ground allspice
1. To make the filling, place all the ingredients in a pan and simmer until the apple is soft but not mushy, 10–15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. To make the cookie-dough pie crust, preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 20 x 20 cm baking tray with baking paper. Combine all the ingredients and mix to incorporate evenly.
3. Press the mixture into the tray and bake for 20–30 minutes, or until golden but still chewy. Serve with the hot apples and blueberries. Alternatively, treat it like a crumble and sprinkle over the cooked apples and blueberries in the baking tray and bake for 25–30 minutes. To make cookies, roll the mixture into balls, stud with the freezedried blueberries and bake for 10–15 minutes.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistant: Claire-ellen Van Rooyen