- 3 T organic virgin coconut oil
- 8 free-range chicken thighs
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 x 6 cm ginger piece, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 3 T garam masala
- 2 t turmeric
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 cups coconut water
- salt, to taste
- coriander, to garnish
- coconut chunks, grated, to garnish
- coconut cream, for serving
Heat 2 T coconut oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken thighs, skin side down, and brown for 3 minutes, or until well caramelised. Turn and cook the other side in the same manner. Set aside.
Heat the remaining coconut oil in the same pan and brown the shallots, then add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the garam masala and turmeric and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
Halve the tomatoes and grate the cut side, discarding the skins. Stir the tomato pulp, tomato paste and coconut water into the curry. Add the browned chicken.
Season lightly with salt and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes.
Serve in a large serving dish garnished with coriander, grated coconut and chilli. Drizzle with coconut cream.