- 6 Woolworths chocolate hot cross buns
- 42 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 1 t vanilla paste
- 75 g caster sugar
- 35 g cocoa powder
- 300 ml fresh cream
- 150 ml milk
- 100 ml strong coffee
- vanilla ice cream or double cream, for serving
- chocolate sauce or Easter eggs, for serving (optional)
1. Slice the hot cross buns in half and butter each half with an even amount of the butter. Arrange the halved buns in a lightly greased 28 x 23 cm baking tray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla paste, sugar,and cocoa powder until combined. Set aside.
3. Place a saucepan over a medium-low heat and gently warm the cream, milk and coffee. Stir frequently so that the milk and cream do not burn. Once the liquid is hot with little bubbles forming around the edge of the pan, remove it from the heat.
4. Pouring very slowly, whisk the hot liquid into the egg mixture. It’s important to pour slowly and whisk quickly so that the hot liquid doesn’t scramble the egg.
5. Carefully pour the combined mixture over the prepared hot cross buns. Using your hands, press the buns into the liquid to cover. Allow the buns to soak up the liquid for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 170ºC.
7. Once the buns have been standing for 15 minutes, bake the pudding for 50–60 minutes. Keep a layer of foil on hand to place over the top at the 25 minute mark if it begins to brown too quickly.
8. Remove the pudding from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream or cream and chocolate sauce or Easter eggs.
Photograph: Andrea van der Spuy
Production: Bianca Strydom