- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 100 g butter, softened
- 125 g apricot jam
- 80 g sultanas or raisins
- 6 free-range eggs
- 2 cups cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 50 g caster sugar
- ½ t ground nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 ClemenGold or orange, rind removed
- For the version topped with meringue (optional):
- 3 free-range egg whites
- 180 g caster sugar
- For the ClemenGolds:
- 3 ClemenGolds
- 2 T sugar
- To serve:
- Icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Generously butter the bread on one side, then spread with apricot jam. Sandwich the sliced bread together, then slice diagonally and layer in an ovenproof dish, scattering the sultanas or raisins between each layer.
3. Mix the eggs, cream, milk, vanilla, sugar and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl, then pour over the sandwiched bread.
4. Insert the cinnamon stick into the pudding, top with the ClemenGold or orange rind and allow to stand for 20 minutes, or until the milk is absorbed.
5. Bake for 35–40 minutes or until the edges of the bread are slightly toasted and the centre of the pudding is slightly wobbly.
6. To make the version with meringue (optional):
7. Beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Slowly add the caster sugar, a little at a time, and beat until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
8. Spoon the meringue over the pudding and return the dish to the oven to cook for 10 minutes.
9. Peel three ClemenGolds and cut into rounds. Coat with sugar and fry in a pan over high heat for 2 minutes. Serve with the bread pudding.
10. Dust with icing sugar before serving.