- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 T sunflower oil
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200 g white rice
- 1 x 140 ml can coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 1 whole red chilli, split (optional)
- 2 x 400 g cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125 g sliced ham, shredded, for serving
- chopped parsley, for sprinkling
- roasted red-pepper spread, for serving
Gently soften the onion in the oil. Stir in the garlic, followed by the rice. Pour in the coconut milk and water. Add the thyme, chilli, if using, beans and 1 t salt.
Bring to a boil then reduce the heat, cover tightly and gently cook for 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave, covered, for 5 minutes.
Fluff with a fork and check seasoning.
To serve, top with the shredded ham and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve with the red pepper spread (available from Woolworths) on the side.
Per serving: 2441.7 kJ, 20.8 g protein, 26.2 g fat, 67.9 g carbs
Cook's note: leave out the ham for a perfectly balanced protein-rich vegetarian meal.
The nutritious combination of rice and beans is a staple all over South America and the Caribbean. In fact, there are probably as many versions of it as there are cooks and countries.