- 2 T butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 200 g button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 6–8 cups chard or baby spinach, shredded
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 3 T cream cheese
- 1 t Italian herb seasoning
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Parmesan-style cheese, for serving
1. Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent. Add the mushrooms and fry just until soft, then add the garlic and fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add the spinach and cook for 3–5 minutes, stirring, until just wilted. (If the pan is too full to stir, cover it briefly to allow the spinach to wilt slightly before stirring.)
3. Add the cream, cream cheese, herb seasoning, and salt and black pepper to taste. Stir constantly until the cream cheese melts. Cook for 1–2 minutes, until the vegetables are slightly thickened and creamy. Just before serving, sprinkle with finely-grated parmesan-style cheese.
Cook's note: This recipe is part of Lizwe's Seven Colours Sunday Lunch. "Seven Colours, or 7 Colours, is a meal that includes rice, chicken or beef, and an array of vegetable side dishes that make a rainbow of colour on your plate. When I was growing up, Sunday mornings were for church, and then we’d go home to this fabulous feast, with all the family gathered around the table. From an early age, I used to help my mum prepare the dishes, and now it’s my turn to pass the knowledge on to my own children. I loved Sundays back then, and I still love to cook up a storm for my family now."
This recipe is an extract from Dinner at Matloha's, published by Penguin Random House (Pty) Ltd and available at all good book stores.