Lightly pan-fried hake is the perfect, easy dinner recipe. Served with seasonal vegetables and a creamy coconut sauce to enhance the natural flavours of hake, this is a healthy recipe the whole family will love.
- 4 MSC certified hake fillets
- ¼ cup flour
- ¾ cup coconut cream
- 1 t lemon juice
- 2 t avocado oil
- 2 t fresh coriander, chopped
- 50 g Tenderstem broccoli
- 50 g baby corn
- 50 g sugar snap peas
- ½ t garlic flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Dry the hake fillets with a kitchen towel. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Coat hake with the seasoned flour and dust off excess flour.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. avocado oil on a pan. Place the fillets in the pan and cook for 2 minutes each side. Remove from the pan.
Add the coconut cream to the same pan. Leave it on the heat to simmer until it starts to thicken slightly.
3. Stir in the lemon juice and add back the fillets. Cook for a further 2 minutes, turning them halfway.
4. Mix in the coriander and taste for seasoning. Adjust the amount of salt and pepper that you add, according to taste
5. For the grilled vegetables, first rinse the vegetables under running water. Place them in a pan with a lid for 2 minutes. This allows the vegetables to steam using the excess water.
6. Next, remove the lid and pour in 1 t avocado oil. Season with garlic flakes, salt and pepper and leave to sauté for 4 minutes turning them regularly.
7. Serve the hot vegetables with the hake and sauce.
Cook's note: "When you grill the vegetables, be careful not to cook for too long. When they are just right, they keep a bit of crunch and texture to compliment the fish."
This recipe is an extract from the Marine Stewardship Council’s new Ocean Cookbook. The cookbook with the message ‘fish for tonight, and for tomorrow’ is a global collaboration between award-winning chefs and 17 sustainable fishers from around the world, united in the belief that sustainable fishing is a must if we are to protect our oceans.