- For the doughnuts:
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 100 g white sugar
- 76 g butter, cubed
- 3 T hot water
- 3 T lukewarm water
- 2 t instant yeast
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 720 g flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- For the coating:
- 67 g white sugar
- 2 t ground cinnamon
- For the Dalgona coffee:
- 3 T white sugar
- 2 T instant coffee
- 2 T cold water
1. To make the doughnuts, place the milk, sugar and butter in a saucepan and bring the milk to a simmer. Once the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat.
2. Place the hot and cold water (to make lukewarm water) and yeast in a small bowl. Whisk using a fork to combine, then set aside for 10 minutes. It should look murky and a bit foamy after 10 minutes.
3. Place the milk and yeast mixtures in the bowl of a stand mixer, then whisk using the whisk attachment, about 2–3 minutes. Add the eggs and combine. Add the flour and cinnamon in two batches. Make sure to scrape down the sides so everything is combined.
4. Swap the whisk attachment for the dough hook attachment and set the speed to medium-low. Knead the dough for 10 minutes.
5. Place the dough in a bowl greased with olive oil, cover with clingwrap and place in a warm place for 24 minutes to 11/2 hours, until doubled in size. Once the dough has risen, punch it down, removing as much air as possible. Roll it out to a thickness of 4–6 cm and, using a round cookie cutter or a glass, cut out as many doughnuts as you can.
6. Place the doughnut rounds on a tray lined with parchment paper. Cover loosely with a clean tea towel and allow to rise again for 40 minutes.
7. Bring the vegetable oil to a simmer in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat. Test the heat by adding a piece of leftover dough – if the dough sizzles immediately it’s hot enough and you can start frying the doughnuts.
8. Once the doughnuts have been fried, drain on kitchen paper, then toss in the cinnamon and sugar coating.
9. To make the Dalgona coffee, place all the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk vigorously until a light cream in colour and very thick. If you are whisking by hand this could take about 10–15 minutes. Make a hole inside each doughnut using a small knife or a star nozzle. Fill with the Dalgona coffee and enjoy!
Find more sweet treat recipes here.