These were inspired by Louise and Anna restaurant in Joburg. The restaurant’s name is a clever take on ‘Louisiana’ and it serves Cajun-inspired food. Add roast chicken to bulk up the dish.”
- For the deep-fried pickles:
- 120 g flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t Woolworths Cajun seasoning
- 1 free-range egg
- 1 cup milk
- 120 g panko breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil, for frying
- 6 halved Woolworths jalapeño cones in brine
- 12 Woolworths sweet-and-sour sliced gherkins
- lemon or lime wedges, for serving
- For the flatbread:
- 140 g flour
- ½ t salt
- 1 cup full-cream yoghurt
- For the avocado dressing, blend:
- 1 avocado, peeled and stoned
- 15 g coriander, chopped
- 15 g chives
- 2 T Woolworths sliced jalapeños in smoke-flavoured brine
- 2 garlic, cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- salt, to taste
1. Whisk the flour, baking powder, Cajun seasoning, egg, and milk. Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
2. Pat dry the pickles with kitchen paper. Dip into the batter, then lightly into the breadcrumbs. Lay on a tray for about 5 minutes so the crumbs stick, then fry in batches until light brown. Drain on kitchen paper.
3. To make the flatbread, mix all the ingredients and bring together to form a ball using your hands. Wrap in cling-wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll out on a floured surface. Heat a griddle pan and pan-fry on both sides for a few minutes.
5. To serve, pile the pickles onto the flatbreads and drizzle with the dressing. Serve with lemon or lime wedges.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food Assistant: Bianca Strydom