- 12 free-range eggs
- 850 g caster sugar
- 640 g cake flour
- 3 T baking powder
- 1 t fine salt
- 3 T lemon zest
- 3 T lime zest
- 3 cups milk
- 375 g butter
- 4 Earl Grey tea bags
- For the hibiscus icing:
- 1 cup water
- 2 T sugar
- 2 Woolworths hibiscus tea bags
- 1 T lemon juice
- 300 g icing sugar, sifted
- hibiscus powder, for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease 3 x 30 cm round cake tins.
2. Cream the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Fold the flour mixture and lemon and lime zest into the egg mixture.
4. Heat the milk, butter and tea bags until the butter has just melted. Remove the tea bags. Stir the milk mixture into the batter until smooth.
5. Pour the batter into the tins and bake for 25–30 minutes. Allow the cakes cool on a wire rack before icing.
6. To make the icing, bring the water, sugar and tea bags to the boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Strain and measure out 1/4 cup. Add the lemon juice and icing sugar and stir until combined, adding a teaspoon or two more of the tea if you want a stronger flavour. Drizzle over the cakes to serve.