- 4 T ghee, melted
- 250 g Woolworths frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 250 g sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 ClemenGold, zested and juiced
- 100 g walnuts, toasted
- 100 g pistachios, toasted
- 100 g almonds, toasted
- 4 T honey
1. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Brush each sheet of phyllo pastry with the melted ghee, making 3 piles of 3 layers. Working with the widest part of the pastry facing you, cut each pile into 6 long triangles, each with a 5 cm-wide edge. Freeze until required.
3. Combine the sugar and water in a medium saucepan, stirring until all the water has been absorbed. Bring to a simmer over a low heat, then increase the heat to medium-high and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, then add the ClemenGold zest and juice.
4. While the syrup is boiling, crush the nuts separately in a mortar and pestle until a medium to fine texture has been reached. Combine, reserving 2 T crushed pistachios for topping. Mix the mixed crushed nuts with the honey.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Remove the phyllo triangles from the freezer, then place 1 T nut-and-honey mixture on the widest edge of each triangle, then roll the widest edge towards the point of the triangle creating a croissant-style baklava roll-up.
6. Place each roll-up on the prepared baking tray, cover generously with the citrus syrup and bake for 20–25 minutes, or until slightly caramelised and gooey. Top with the reserved pistachios before serving.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom