- 500 g Woolworths chicken sausage, removed from the casing
- 1 t sesame oil
- ½ T garlic, finely chopped
- 1 T ginger, finely chopped
- 1 T green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 T soya sauce
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 5 g coriander, chopped stalks included
- 20 frozen wonton wrappers, thawed
- canola oil, for frying
- hoisin sauce, for serving
1. Mix all the ingredients except the wonton wrappers and canola oil. Heat a little canola oil in a small pan and fry 1 T filling to check the seasoning. Adjust the soya sauce and chilli to taste.
2. Place the wonton wrappers on a clean work surface. Drop 1 T filling in the centre of each wrapper. Using your finger, rub water around the edge of the wrapper, then bring two opposite corners of the wrapper together. Bring the third corner up and press the edges together, repeat with the last corner and make sure all the sides are stuck together. Repeat the folding with the remaining wrappers and filling.
3. Heat a little canola oil in a pan and add a few wontons. Fry until golden. Pour 1⁄3 cup water into the pan and cover with a lid. Allow the wontons to steam for 3–4 minutes. Repeat in batches until all the wontons are cooked. Serve with hoisin sauce for dipping.
Cook’s note: Find frozen wonton wrappers at your local Asian supermarket.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistants: Claire-ellen Van Rooyen and Kate Ferreira