- 250 g Woolworths frozen sweet potato chips
- 4 baby leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 T olive oil
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 1 cup vegetable or fish stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 T Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 100 g Woolworths Maasdam cheese, grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 x 450 g hake fillets, cubed
- 400 g haddock, cubed
- 100 g frozen petit-pois peas
- Pea shoots, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Bake the sweet potato chips for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, soften the leeks in the olive oil, then set aside.
In the same pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Gradually add the stock, milk and cream, stirring after every addition, until you have a smooth, silky sauce. Add the rosemary and simmer for 15–20 minutes, or until thick.
Stir in the parsley, leeks and cheese and season to taste.
Arrange the fish in an ovenproof dish, pour over the sauce, add the peas and top with the parbaked chips. Bake for 25 minutes or until the fish is cooked and the pie is bubbling and golden. Serve garnished with pea shoots.
Cook's note: Nothing beats a classic fish pie; the extra grated cheese in the sauce really makes it special and packs a huge flavour punch. And using sweet potato chips as the crust? Revolutionary!