- For the soup:
- 1 x 400 g gammon
- 2 onions, quartered
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup celery leaves
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves
- 1 x 250 g sachet Woolworths ready-made barley
- For the cheesy dumplings:
- 70 g flour
- 1⁄2 t baking powder
- 2 T butter
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 t English mustard powder
- 100 g Woolworths oak-smoked Gouda or Dalewood Boland, grated
Place the gammon in a large saucepan and cover with water. Add the onions, carrots, celery, black pepper and cloves. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours, or until the gammon is tender.
Remove the gammon from the broth and cut into chunks, then return to the broth and simmer for 10 minutes with the dumplings.
To make the dumplings, mix all the ingredients, then roll into balls, and drop into the broth.
Heat the barley according to package instructions, and add to the broth.