- 350 g Woolworths Mediterranean potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 500 g linguine
- 150 g extra fine green beans, trimmed
- For the basil pesto, pound together:
- 60 g fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 35 g pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 75 g Parmesan, grated, plus extra for serving
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and salt generously. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes, or until barely tender. Stir in the linguine and beans. Boil until the linguine is al dente and the beans just cooked.
2. Drain, reserving the pasta water. Toss with the pesto, adding some of the reserved pasta water to loosen. Check the seasoning. Serve with extra Parmesan for sprinkling
Cook's note: In this classic from Campania, Italy, linguine is simply cooked in salted water with potatoes and green beans, then tossed with home-made pesto.
Photographs: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food assistant: Nicola Naude