- For the basic pizza dough, mix, then knead:
- 35 g dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water, plus extra if needed
- 2 T yoghurt
- A pinch of salt
- 600 g flour, plus extra for dusting
- For the topping:
- 2 t oregano
- 150 g buffalo mozzarella, torn into small pieces
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 75 g Parmesan cheese, grated
- A handful rocket
- Cherry tomatoes, halved and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 200 g smoked salmon, sliced ,seasoned and dressed with olive oil and lemon juice
- 3 T yoghurt and wasabi mix dressing
- For the basic tomato sauce:
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 10 ripe tomatoes, skinned and halved
- 1 x 410 g can crushed tomatoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to approximately 260°C. On a flour-dusted surface, roll out the kneaded dough to a thickness of 3 mm in a rectangular shape.
Spread with 2 T of the tomato sauce and sprinkle with oregano.
Bake for 5 minutes, then remove and sprinkle with the cheeses. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes or until cooked and the cheese melted.
Arrange the rocket, cherry tomatoes and smoked salmon on the pizza and finish off with a drizzle of the yoghurt and- wasabi dressing (see below).
To make the tomato sauce:
In a saucepan, heat the oil and briefly fry the garlic. Add the tomato halves and crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes, then season to taste.
Cook's note: For the yoghurt and wasabi dressing, mix a tiny amount of wasabi paste with a good dollop of plain Bulgarian yoghurt.
You can always buy ready-made pizza bases from Woolworths, and simply add the rocket, tomatoes and smoked salmon, finishing with the dressing as described above.
*This recipe was created by chef Seelan Sundoo of the Grand Cafe and Beach in Cape Town.