“This is one of granny’s specialities; it's pure comfort food for the soul, made with love. We have captured her recipe as best we could as she just throws it together – it’s such an easy pudding to make.” – Denise Levy, chef,@gingerandlimect, @thekitchencollective_ct
- 4 free-range extra-large or jumbo eggs, separated
- 133 g sugar
- 3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and grated
- 1 quince or large pear, peeled and grated
- 80 g matzo meal
- flaked almonds, toasted, for sprinkling
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Cream the egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy. Drain or squeeze the juice from the apples and quince (keep the juice to drink later). Add the apple, quince and matzo meal to the mixture and mix.
2. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the apple mixture. Pour into a 22 cm greased ovenproof dish and sprinkle with the nuts. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Cook’s note: Add sultanas, blackberries or raisins to the mixture if you like, and decorate the pudding with sliced apple fried in honey.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom