- 250 g orechiette pasta
- 4 T olive oil
- 600 g Woolworths pork-and-beef frikkadels
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 375 g Woolworths green vegetable medley bag
- 2 x 500 ml Woolworths organic chicken stock cartons
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, rinse and set aside.
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 T olive oil in a pan and fry the frikkadels for 5 minutes over a high heat until golden. They don’t have to be cooked through as you will poach them later.
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a deep saucepan and fry the spring onions and garlic. Add the vegetables and fry for 2 minutes.
4. Place the frikkadels in the same saucepan and top with the stock. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 10–15 minutes, or until the frikkadels are cooked through, then add the pasta. Serve immediately in bowls.
COOK’S TIP: This has to be my ultimate quick-and-easy green minestrone, it’s even better the next day and is delicious with a dash of Woolworths chilli oil and a generous amount of Parmesan. Searing the frikkadels first ensures that you seal in flavour while giving them some colour, while poaching them to finish cooking keeps them plump and succulent.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen