- 750 g large calamari tubes
- For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons golden sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- For grilling: split lemongrass stalks
- For dipping: satay sauce mixed with a little coconut milk and fresh lime juice
- On the side: steamed fragrant rice
Slit the calamari tubes in half lengthways and score on the inside. Mix together the marinade ingredients and allow calamari to marinate for half an hour.
Thread on sticks or stalks. If using lemongrass, cut slits into the calamari in order to thread. Arrange, scored side up, on a grill pan coated with a non-stick cooking spray.
Spoon over the marinade. Slide under a very hot grill and cook for 3 – 5 minutes until just cooked and tender. Remember, overcooking toughens calamari.
Serve with the sauce for dipping and steamed fragrant rice on the side. Some steamed greens would be good too.
This is a versatile dish. You could do the same with cubes of fresh fish, sliced chicken filets or peeled large prawns.