- 500 g angelfish (in one piece)
- Sunflower oil, for greasing
- Flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, to garnish
- Lemon zest, thinly shredded, to garnish (optional)
- For the anchovy-and-garlic butter, process or pound together:
- 100 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 12 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Place the fish skin side down on a lightly oiled baking tray. Dot with the anchovy-and-garlic butter. (You won’t need it all so refrigerate the rest.)
Slide the buttered fish under a very hot grill for barely 5 minutes, or until just cooked. Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley, and lemon zest, if using.
Cook’s notes: Serve this flavoursome butter, chilled, with hot baked potatoes, or use to sandwich sliced baguette, then wrap in baking paper and bake until hot and crispy.
The fish is also delicious served with a classic beurre noir (black butter) sauce.