“I think my mom only made this once but the taste and smell live rent-free in my head. I have been trying to replicate it, but it hasn’t quite got there yet. This recipe is a close second.” – Mmabatho Molefe
- 500 g white bread flour
- 1 T salt
- 1¼ cups lukewarm water
- 30 g sugar
- 10 g yeast
- 30 g butter, melted
- 150 g maize meal
- 2 cobs sweetcorn, kernels removed and pureed
- For the onion-and-chive butter:
- 500 g salted butter, softened
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 10 g chives, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 t lemon juice
- salt, to taste
1. To make the bread, mix the flour and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the water, sugar and yeast. Cover and set aside until the yeast starts to bubble, about 15 minutes.
2. Once the yeast has started to bubble, slowly whisk the melted butter into the yeast mixture. Slowly add the remaining ingredients. Mix until a stiff dough starts to form.
3. Knead for 8–10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth. Place in a greased, heatproof bowl and allow to rise until doubled in size. Knock down the dough and return to the greased bowl. Allow to rise until doubled in size again.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Shape the bread as desired and bake for 20 minutes, or until it sounds hollow when knocked on the base.
5. To make the butter, whisk the butter until smooth. Fold in the onion, chives and sour cream. Season with lemon juice and salt.
Production: Khanya Mzongwana
Photograph: Jan Ras