- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 400 g pork rashers, halved
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 T tomato paste
- 2 T Worcester sauce
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 x 400 g borlotti beans can, drained
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf fresh sourdough bread, hollowed
- ¼ cup Parmesan grated
Gently fry the onion and leeks in the olive oil until translucent and golden brown. Increase the heat and add the garlic, celery, carrots, thyme and pork rashers. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the pork rashers have coloured.
Add the bay leaves and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the Worcester sauce and beef stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the pork pulls apart. Add the borlotti beans for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
Toast the bread in a preheated oven for 5 minutes until slightly golden. Fill with the bean-and-pork soup and sprinkle over the Parmesan.