When we asked Keletso Motau to tell us about the pudding that made him most nostalgic for childhood, he didn’t hesitate: jelly and custard – and there had to be guavas! His impressive-looking rendition of this South African classic requires just four ingredients – five if you count water! (We’ll let you in on a secret – Woolies’ readymade custard sets beautifully with the addition of a little gelatine!) You’re going to need to invest in a silicone jelly mould, but trust us, it’ll be worth it!
- 1 x 410 g can Woolworths guava halves in fruit juice
- 80 g Woolworths strawberry jelly
- 1 x 10 g packet gelatine powder
- 2 T water
- 1 x 500 ml tub Woolworths fresh vanilla-flavoured custard
1. Drain the guava halves, reserving the syrup. Cut the guavas in half.
2. Arrange the guavas in the bottom of 6 lightly greased silicone bundt moulds.
3. Make the jelly according to packet instructions, then pour over the guavas. Chill to set for 4 hours.
4. Once jelly is set, make the custard layer. Mix the gelatine powder with water and allow to bloom.
5. Melt the gelatine in the microwave for 30 seconds, then mix with the custard. Pour the custard over the set jelly and chill in the fridge for another 4 hours.
6. To unmould, dip the moulds into hot water to loosen, then turn out onto a serving plate. Serve with the reserved syrup.
Photograph: Sadiqah Assur-ismail
Production: Bianca Strydom
Food assistant: Ellah Maepa