- For the marinade, mix:
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 t Dijon mustard
- 1 t fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 T olive oil
- 6 free-range lamb rib chops
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- mashed potato, for serving
- watercress, for serving
1. Bash the chops between sheets of baking paper until half their thickness. Trim the fat, leaving a neat edge.
2. Marinate the chops for 1 hour, turning over once or twice. Don’t season yet.
3. Remove the chops from the marinade, reserving it. Place the chops fat side down in a suitable pan. Cook slowly until the fat is brown and crisp. Discard the fat in the pan.
4. Increase the heat and brown the chops on one side. Season and moisten with the reserved marinade. Turn, season and moisten the other side. Brown quickly so that the chops are pink and tender.
5. Serve with the mashed potato and watercress.
Cook's note: “The secret to cooking these chops fast is to smash them between sheets of baking paper – don’t worry about the bone.”