- 3–4 T organic olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 x 120 g pillow packs organic crisp lettuce
- 2 cups organic vegetable stock
- 1 ripe organic avocado, sliced
- ½ cup organic basil leaves, plus extra for serving
- 1 clove organic garlic, crushed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400 g organic linguine, cooked according to package instructions and drained
- organic Brie, thinly sliced, for serving
Heat the olive oil in a wide, deep pan. Add the lettuce and stock. Cover and cook for a few minutes until the lettuce has wilted.
Remove 1 cup of the warm stock and blend with the avocado, lemon juice, basil leaves and garlic. Season to taste. Mix with the hot pasta, warm lettuce and remaining stock. Check seasoning. Tuck in the slices of Brie, drizzle with olive oil, and garnish with basil leaves.
Serve immediately or at room temperature, as overheating may cause the avocado to turn bitter.
Cook’s note: Replace the avocado with ½ cup warmed organic cream, and use shavings of Italian Parmesan instead of Brie.
Per serving: 3004.6 kJ, 18.6 g protein, 32.8 g fat, 88.3 g carbs
Classically cooked with peas, lettuce makes a surprisingly good vegetable. Here it adds texture to a really simple pasta dish.