- 230 g x 2 Woolworths mackerel fillets
- salt, to taste
- 2 ciabatta slices
- For the tartare sauce, mix:
- 4 T good-quality mayonnaise
- 3 gherkins, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 10 g parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 T wholegrain mustard
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Salt the mackerel fillets and braai over medium coals until cooked.
2. While the mackerel is cooking, toast the ciabatta on the braai until crispy and charred.
3. Serve the mackerel on the toast with the tartare sauce.
Cook's note: To cook fish fillets, braai skin-side down, then line up on the braai grid and cook over hot coals for 2 minutes. Rotate the braai grid and finish cooking.
Fish is cooked when it is no longer opaque and the flesh separates easily.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom