- 3 T sunflower oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 T fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 5 pods cardamom, crushed
- 2 t chilli flakes
- 1 red chilli, split lengthways
- 2 t ground turmeric
- 2 t garam masala
- 2 large ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 green mangoes, pitted and quartered (optional)
- 2 t sugar
- 1 x 400 g coconut milk can
- 1 cup water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt, to taste
Heat the sunflower oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 5 minutes until the onions are soft.
Add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, chilli flakes and red chilli and stir through.
Once fragrant, add the turmeric and garam masala and cook for 2 minutes, then add the mango and sugar. Mix, then stir in the coconut milk and half the water.
Reduce the heat to low and cook for 25 minutes, or until the green mangoes are soft. If too much of the liquid evaporates during the cooking process, add the remaining water and more if necessary.
Add the lemon juice and season with salt to serve.