- 2 x 400 g cans whole tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 T olive oil
- 2 T butter
- 600 g Woolworths beef frikkadels
- 150 g lasagne sheets
- 100 g baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 15 g Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 50 g capers, roughly chopped
- 3 red chillies, roughly chopped
- 30 g anchovies
- 150 g Woolworths fresh Ayrshire bocconcini
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- green olives, for serving
- For the cheese sauce:
- 3 T flour
- 4 T butter
- 1 cup cream, warmed
- ½ cup full-cream milk, warmed
- 70 g white Cheddar, grated
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the tomatoes, garlic, 4 T olive oil and butter in an ovenproof tray and roast for 35–45 minutes.
2. Heat a large pan over a high heat and fry the meatballs in the remaining olive oil until golden, but not cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, precook the lasagne sheets for approximately 6 minutes each.
4. To make the cheese sauce, combine the flour and butter in a medium saucepan and cook until bubbling and slightly caramelised. Add the cream and milk, whisking to combine, and cook until thickened. Remove from the heat, then stir in the Cheddar and seasoning.
5. To assemble, lightly smash the tomatoes on the roasting tray, then transfer them to the lasagne dish. Toss the baby spinach, parsley, capers and chillies. Lay out each lasagne sheet separately, fill with some baby spinach mixture, top with a meatball and roll up, then nestle into the tomato sauce until the tray is full. Top with the cheese sauce, anchovies and bocconcini, season and bake for 25–30 minutes. Serve with the olives.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food Assistant: Bianca Strydom