- 2 dough balls, stretched
- ½ cup Woolworths arrabbiata pasta sauce
- 1 t garlic, crushed
- 60 g cheese mix (75% mozzarella to 25% Emmenthal)
- 150 g brown mushrooms, chopped and cooked
- 80 g Woolworths beech-smoked ham, cut into small chunks or diced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Divide the dough balls in half to make 4 balls, then gently roll out to make 4 small bases.
2. Dot the arrabbiata sauce in the middle of each base in a thin, even layer, leaving a border. Sprinkle over the garlic and cheese, then top with the mushrooms and ham.
3. Fold one side of each base over to meet the other side and gently push down the edges to release any excess air and seal. Fold over the edges and pinch to seal.
4. Bake in a hot pizza oven for 5 minutes, or until the topping is bubbling, the crust is puffy and has a slight char. Alternatively, bake in a preheated oven at 220–250°C for 10–15 minutes on a preheated pizza stone, baking tray or wrap an oven rack in foil and place the pizza directly on the foil so the hot air can circulate easily. Carefully remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Cook's note: Resist the urge to overfill them otherwise they will become soggy and won’t puff up. Use a sharp knife to make 2 small slits in the top of the pizza just before baking to allow steam to escape. Calzones need to be assembled and baked immediately for best results.
Photographs: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Recipes and production: Hannah Lewry and Anthony Hoard
Food assistant: Kate Ferreira