- 150 g white sugar
- 3 T water
- 1½ cups cream
- 100 g good-quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 t instant coffee
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 2 free-range eggs
- 4 free-range egg yolks
- 75 g caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C. Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until deep golden in colour. Pour into a 20 cm flan dish or small individual ramekins and set aside.
2. Heat the cream, chocolate, coffee and vanilla extract in a saucepan over a medium heat until the chocolate has melted.
3. Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and caster sugar together until thick and pale. Slowly whisk the chocolate-and-coffee mixture into the egg mixture, then strain through a fine sieve.
4. Line the base of a roasting pan with a dish towel and place the flan dish on the towel. Pour the cream mixture. into the dish.
5. Pour hot water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for 35–40 minutes, or until just set. It should wobble slightly like jelly. Remove from the roasting pan, allow to cool to room temperature, then chill for 2 hours, or overnight.
6. To turn out, place the dish into hot water and run a knife around the edge of the dish. Place a plate on top and invert the dish to release the caramel. Spoon over any additional syrup to serve.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Food assistant: Andrea Manuel