- 1 loaf sourdough, sliced
- 250 g gypsy ham slices
- 100 g mozzarella slices
- 6 large free-range eggs
- 1 cup cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 T icing sugar
- 100 g cherry preserve (or any berry jam)
- ½ cup evaporated milk, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C. Line and grease a medium-sized ovenproof dish with baking paper and wedge the ham and cheese between the slices of bread in the dish. Whisk together the eggs, cream, salt and pepper.
2. Carefully pour the egg mixture over the bread, cheese and ham. Cover the dish in foil and bake for 25– 30 minutes, or until the egg is cooked.
3. Remove the foil and grill for 5 minutes or until golden and crispy. Dust with icing sugar, spoon over the cherry preserve and drizzle with evaporated milk. Serve warm.
Cook's note: I first discovered the Monte Cristo sandwich on Facebook, where people were arguing about whether this sarmie was a hit or a miss. It’s such a wonderful sandwich – ham and cheese dipped in egg and either pan-fried or deep-fried, served with jam or maple syrup and dusted with icing sugar.
Photography: Toby Murphy
Videography: Xoli Zee Khumalo
Video editing: Romy Wilson