- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 2 dried chilli flakes
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t ground coriander
- 1 t paprika
- Saffron, a pinch
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 x 400 g tomatoes, crushed
- 2 cups fish or vegetable stock
- 1 x 400 g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 200 g carrot batons
- 4 T seedless raisins
- 4 x 150 g sustainable white fish, filleted and skinned
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh coriander, a handful
- Hot couscous, for serving
Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the onion and cook gently until soft, but still pale. Add the garlic and spices and stir for 1 minute, or until fragrant, adding more oil if necessary.
Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas, carrots and raisins and cook for another 5 minutes.
Submerge the fish in the sauce, cover and cook on the lowest possible heat for 5 minutes, or until the fish is just cooked and still moist. Check seasoning.
Add the fresh coriander and serve with the hot couscous.