- 250 g portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 extra-large free-range eggs
- 1 cup cream or full-cream milk
- ½ cup grated Grana Padano cheese, plus extra for dusting
- 250 g short macaroni, cooked and well drained
- ready-to-use Napoletana sauce, for serving
- mix of salad greens, for serving
- olive oil
Preheat the oven to 190°C.
Stir-fry the mushrooms in a spoonful of hot butter until just cooked. Stir in the garlic and some seasoning.
Whisk the eggs with the cream, half the Parmesan and some seasoning. Mix with the mushrooms and pasta.
Spoon into six large (250ml-sized) greased muffin pans. Dust with Parmesan, dot with butter and bake for about half an hour or until browned and set.
Serve with the sauce, and a mix of greens moistened with olive oil and lemon juice.
Cook’s tips: A nice twist on a traditional macaroni-cheese, this meal is good with an Italian-style tomato sauce. To save time, pick up a sachet of Napoletana sauce or, if you like a bit of heat, choose Arrabiata instead. Also, consider adding some shredded ham or smoked chicken to the pasta mixture, or top with rashers of crisp bacon.