- For the stuffed rack of lamb:
- 200 g baby leeks, washed and sliced
- 400 g brown mushrooms, diced
- 60 g butter
- 100 g anchovies, chopped
- 120 g Woolworths herb stuffing
- 50 g hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 x 850 g Woolworths free-range spiced rack of lamb, French-trimmed
- 30 g sage, deep-fried
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the onion petals:
- 4 white onions, peeled and halved
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Pan-fry the leeks and mushrooms in the butter, then stir in the anchovies, herb stuffing and hazelnuts.
Place the rack of lamb on a baking tray, then stuff as much filling between each slice as you can. Truss the meat to hold it together. Season and roast for 45 minutes, then rest for 15 minutes.
To make the white onion petals, place the onions in a dry, heavy-based pan and cook until slightly charred.
Cut the bottoms off the onions and gently separate the petals. Serve the lamb with the onion petals and sage. Season to taste.
Cook’s note: If the stuffing seems a bit dry, add more butter. You can replace the nuts with soaked chickpeas or omit them.
A rack is extra tender and it doesn’t take as long to cook. The herb-and-anchovy stuffinng will have everyone begging you for the recipe.